12 books, 2 alternates! The rules are that I have to read 12 previously unread books in 2013, then post a short review. Or at least post that I finished them. The books all have to have a “published date” before 1/1/12. If I hate any one of the 12 and can’t finish it, I can pick one of the two alternates. Here we go. These are all from my shelves, either real or virtual (Kindle).
1. Bel Canto, Ann Patchett (318 p)
2. Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel (650 p)-Completed 2/8/13
3. The Master Butchers Singing Club, Louise Erdrich (388 p)
4. Night Train To Lisbon, Pascal Mercier (438 p)
5.Snow, Orhan Pamuk (426 p)
6. Bloodsmoor Romance, Joyce Carol Oates (615 p)
7. Sense of an Ending, Julian Barnes (150 p)
8. Life of Pi, Yann Martel (356 p)
9. 22 Britannia Road, Amanda Hodgkinson (323 p)
10. Swamplandia, Karen Russell (316 p)
11. Midnight’s Children, Salman Rushdie (552 p)
12. Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy, (862 p)*
And the two alternates:
1. Andersonville, MacKinlay Kantor (766 p)
2. World Without End, Ken Follett (1014 p)
I know, I know. There are a lot of classics in there that I should have read before. That’s one problem with being a prolific book buyer. I buy far more books than I can read, and there is always something newer and shinier, or at least closer to the top of the stack, to catch my attention. That’s also a relatively ambitious list, with 5092 pages for the first 12, and 1780 pages for the two alternates.
How about you? What are you planning to read in 2013?
* Edited 12/30/12 to change #12 to Anna Karenina. I’ve never read it, which is a bit ridiculous.